Shootings At Substations Knock Out Power For “Days”

December 5, 2022

Two power substations knocked out by shootings could take days to repair, leaving tens of thousands in Moore County, North Carolina without electricity, according to an energy company spokesman.

Duke Energy’s Jeff Brooks said multiple pieces of equipment would need to be replaced, bracing the roughly 35,400 customers who lost power for potential outages that he said would last for days.

County schools were closed Monday as part of a state of emergency set in place Saturday that includes a 9pm to 5am curfew. 

Meanwhile, the FBI has been brought in to work with the state to investigate the shootings. 

 Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said Sunday that investigators are looking into protesters of a Saturday drag queen show that was rumored to be the target of the shootings. However, Fields said so far they have not been able to make that connection.

“No group has stepped up to acknowledge or accept that they’re the ones that done it,” he said, adding “we’re looking at all avenues.”

While Gov. Roy Cooper (D) stated on Twitter, “An attack like this on critical infrastructure is a serious, intentional crime and I expect state and federal authorities to thoroughly investigate and bring those responsible to justice.”

Moore County is about an hour’s drive from Raleigh. With a population of some 100,000, it’s known for it’s golf resorts in Pinhurst and other communities. 

Read more exclusive news from Political IQ.

Related

Newsletter

Get the featured stories in your email and don't miss out on important news.

Previous

Vice President Harris to Attend Tyre Nichols’ Funeral

Next

Vice President Harris to Attend Tyre Nichols’ Funeral