The judge overseeing a Georgia grand jury’s investigation into possible criminal election interference by former President Trump and others said in an order on Monday that the case has wrapped up.
The order said the grand jurors completed a final report and that a majority of the county’s superior court judges voted to dissolve the special grand jury.
Over the course of about six months, the special grand jury has heard testimony from dozens of witnesses, including close Trump associates as well as high-ranking Georgia state officials.
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis opened the investigation in early 2021, shortly after a recording surfaced of a phone call between Trump and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (R). During that call, then-President Trump suggested the state’s top elections official could “find 11,780 votes”—the exact number needed to overturn Trump’s loss in the state in the 2020 Presidential election.
Willis has reportedly been focusing on several areas: phone calls made to Georgia officials by Trump and his allies; false statements made by Trump associates before Georgia legislative committees; a panel of 16 Republicans who signed a certificate falsely stating that Trump had won the state and that they were the state’s “duly elected and qualified” electors; the abrupt resignation of the U.S. attorney in Atlanta in January 2021; alleged attempts to pressure a Fulton County election worker; and breaches of election equipment in a rural south Georgia county.
Former New York Mayor and Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani confirmed that he had been questioned by the grand jury in August. Sixteen Republican fake electors have also been told they are targets of the investigation, according to public court filings. It is possible that others have also been notified they are targets of the investigation.
Trump and his allies have consistently denied any wrongdoing. Trump has referred to his conversation with Raffensperger—who was reelected Georgia Secretary of State in the 2022 midterms—as a “perfect” phone call and has dismissed the investigation as a “witch hunt.”
The grand jury’s work has wrapped nearly two months after Trump announced he would seek reelection in 2024.