Trump Seeks to Delay Start of New York Fraud Case

March 3, 2023


Attorneys for former President Trump filed Friday for a six-month delay in the start of New York state’s fraud case.

New York State Attorney General Letitia James is suing for $250 million against Trump, his companies and its officers over allegations of bank, tax and insurance fraud.

The suit is currently scheduled to go to trial October 2. If Friday’s delay request is granted, it would likely push any trial deep into the 2024 Presidential campaign season in which Trump is seeking reelection.

Trump attorneys said extending deadlines by six months would provide the time they need to review the “staggering” volume of materials, including millions of pages of documents, as well as question dozens of witnesses.

“Fundamental notions of fair play and due process mandate that defendants are afforded every opportunity to prepare a meaningful defense,” the filing states.

Trump’s request—joined by the other defendants, including three of his adult children, Donald Jr., Ivanka and Eric—must meet approval from Justice Arthur Engoron of the state supreme court in Manhattan, who has resisted pushing back the timetable.

Engoron said in a recent conference call that the fraud suit against Trump would go to trial on October 2 “come hell or high water,” and emailed lawyers last week that “with all that has already been accomplished, I see no reason” to delay it.

Trump has called James’ case a political witch hunt. 

James office did not immediately comment to the Trump team’s file for delay.

Read more exclusive news from Political IQ.

Related

Newsletter

Get the featured stories in your email and don't miss out on important news.

Previous

Klaus Schwab To Step Down At WEF

Next

Klaus Schwab To Step Down At WEF