DOJ Closes Pence Classified Documents Probe Without Charges

June 2, 2023

The Department of Justice on Friday ended an investigation into the handling of classified documents by former Vice President Pence without levying any charges.

The announcement by the DOJ comes just days before Pence is set to officially announce he’s running for President in 2024—as is former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R). 

The DOJ’s decision also comes the same week news broke of audio recordings in which former President Trump—who’s also running for reelection in 2024—reportedly acknowledges he held onto a classified document after leaving the White House.

In recent weeks it’s been reported that Special Counsel Jack Smith is apparently focusing on obstruction of justice surrounding Trump’s handling of the 100 or so classified documents obtained during a search warrant in August at his Florida residence by the FBI, including whether the former President took or directed actions to impede government efforts to collect all the sensitive records. 

In January a lawyer for Pence discovered about a dozen documents marked classified at his Carmel, Indiana home last month, prompting an immediate review by the DOJ.

An FBI search of Pence’s home in February uncovered one additional classified document.

Both Pence and President Biden—who also had classified documents from his time as Senator and Vice President turn up at his various residences and personal office—have said they would cooperate with Justice officials in their investigations regarding the classified documents.

Read more exclusive news from Political IQ.

Related

Newsletter

Get the featured stories in your email and don't miss out on important news.

Previous

Ford says “significant gaps” remain in UAW strike talks 

Next

Ford says “significant gaps” remain in UAW strike talks