Fulton County prosecutors on Friday signaled they may soon extend a plea deal to one or both defendants headed to trial next month in the 2020 Georgia election interference case.
Two co-defendants who requested speedy trials—Kenneth Chesebro and Sydney Powell—are set to be tried together on October 23.
The two former Trump attorneys are among 19 co-defendants, including former President Trump, who were indicted last month on racketeering and other charges by a grand jury last month related to attempts to overturn Georgia’s 2020 election. The indictment came following a more than two-year investigation by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.
A trial date has not yet been set for the other 17 co-defendants.
During a procedural hearing for Chesebro and Powell on Friday, prosecutor Nathan Wade said that while the district attorney’s office has not yet offered a plea deal to the pair of co-defendants, it may soon.
“We have not, at this point, made an offer,” Wade said during the hearing.
“Is the state in a position to make one in the near future?” asked Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee, who is presiding over the case.
“Judge, I believe that we can,” Wade said. “We’ll sit down and kind of put some things together, and we’ll reach out to defense counsel individually to extend an offer.”
Defense attorneys did not address the potential for a plea deal during the hearing. Should that offer be extended, their clients could still opt to go to trial.
In fact, Chesebro attorney Scott Grubman has said in a recent interview that his client is “headed right towards trial.”
McAfee predicted the first trial would last three to five months, with Fridays and holidays off.