Suspect in Paul Pelosi attack goes on trial in San Francisco

November 9, 2023

David DePape, the suspect in last year’s brutal attack on Paul Pelosi, husband of then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was set to go on trial Thursday in San Francisco.

Opening statements were scheduled, during which prosecutors would assert that DePape assaulted the then-82-year-old in the early morning hours October 28, 2022 in the couple’s California home.

The attack with a hammer left Pelosi with a fractured skull.

DePape has pleaded not guilty to attempted kidnapping of a federal official and assault on the immediate family member of a federal official.

At the time of the attack authorities said a man dressed in all black and walking with a backpack near the Pelosi home around 2 a.m., possessing zip ties, a rope and hammer in the backpack that he planned to use to kidnap and torture the then-Speaker, who was in Washington DC that night.

According to court records, DePape repeatedly asked, “Where’s Nancy?” while standing over Paul Pelosi and holding the hammer and zip ties. 

Ahead of the assault, DePape had posted rants online about aliens, communists, religious minorities, and global elites along with various QAnon conspiracy theories that claim the government is run by pedophiles, and he questioned President Biden’s 2020 election victory. The posts were taken down shortly after his arrest.

In November 2022, just weeks after her husband’s attack, then-Speaker Pelosi stepped back from House Leadership, stating that she would continue as a member of the House “to speak for the people of San Francisco.”

Speaker Emerita Pelosi said this past September that she would be running for reelection in 2024.

PHOTO: Paul Pelosi at 2023 State of the Union address

Read more exclusive news from Political IQ.

 

Related

Newsletter

Get the featured stories in your email and don't miss out on important news.

Previous

GOP Senators Announce Plan On Nominees

Next

KJP Answers Question About Hunter During Press Gaggle